Thursday, January 15, 2015

Mark 11: No faith / No Figs

As I read Mark 11 today I spent some time considering the truths behind the fig tree: you know, the cursing of the fig tree that had no fruit.
What lies behind this?
What are we to make of it?
Why did Jesus curse the fig tree?
I feel like one of the disciples left scratching my head. I feel right there with Peter in verse 21 when he asks Jesus about what that is all about.

And what was Jesus' response? "Have faith in God."
Ok...   Then Jesus describes what it looks like to have... faith - pray - ask in faith. So, the connection point has something to do with the fig tree and bearing fruit, but what?

Is Jesus telling us that in order to bear fruit, we have to exercise faith? Simple enough, huh. Yes but do we do this? Do we exercise faith while we serve, while we testify, while we witness and a host of other activities that at times we just assume will immediately gain the fruitful blessing and power of God - even though we never asked Him to empower it or bless us.

Is it enough to say that the "doing" of ministry is an illustration of our faith. Faith in what? ahah, mostly faith in the fact that if I do something that is good then my doing of it will gain/earn the blessing of God. Why are we so spiritually sure of ourselves that we fail to ask for His power and help? Why with fruitless limbs do we continue to expect fruit when we have yet to activate faith in God in the process. God help me believe, and help me ask you for power and effectual ministry in all I do. Also, God, please remind me of this tomorrow morning and the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment